Friday, May 29, 2009

Sticky Bones

I don't really know what else to call this. The recipe is based on this one at Recipezaar called Sticky Asian Pork Neck.

I modified it a bit to what I had on hand, and what sounded tasty. Since I definitely plan on repeating this sauce on other types of meat (spareribs!!), I couldn't really call it Pork Neck anymore. So...we're gonna call it Chi Gwat, or Sticky Bones. Sound good?

Sticky Bones

Ingredients:
Meaty bones (I used 5 pork neck bones)
1/4 cup Oyster Sauce
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup (loosely packed) brown sugar
2 T. finely grated Ginger (I used a microplane) (Use about 1 T. of powdered ginger if you don't have fresh)
2 tsp. Minced Garlic
1 tsp. Chili Sauce
1 tsp. Chinese Five Spice Powder

Heat on high until the meat is cooked, about 1 hour, and reduce to low. Turn the meat over once an hour to give it a good glaze.

Serve with rice and vegetables.

(My bones were frozen when I put them in, so I left this on high for about three hours. Next time, I could put it on low in the morning and let the glaze get even stickier.)

*A note on meat - If using Pork Neck bones, go for the absolute meatiest ones you can find. If using something else, like spare ribs, make sure the meat has just a bit of fat on it, otherwise your ribs will come out tough. Alternately, you can boil your ribs first to tenderize them, and then put them in the slow cooker.)

No comments:

Post a Comment