Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Homemade Pasta with Toss-Together Sauce

I put this together last night, and it was so good.

The pasta recipe is from Pioneer Woman, and it couldn't be simpler:
Allocate 1 egg for every person you want to feed. Allocate 1/2 cup of flour for every egg. Understand?

I wanted enough for a few meals, so I used 5 eggs and 2 1/2 cups flour.

Start with your flour in a bowl, make a well in the top, and crack in your eggs. Combine with your hands, adding more flour as necessary. Remove to a WELL floured board, and knead the pejeebies out of it, until it is no longer sticky OR tacky. (I think I ended up adding nearly an extra cup of flour. It was a rather humid day!)

Wrap in plastic wrap and allow to rest for 30 minutes.

When you're ready, roll it out as thin as you can with a rolling pin, and slice it up with a pizza cutter. Easy peasy! (I sliced mine into long fettuccine-type noodles, and then cross-ways into about 2 inch sections.)

I put the noodles in a plastic container in the fridge while I waited for Lo Gung to get home - they only cook for a few minutes. (Tip - use LOTS of water!!)

For the sauce:
Combine in a dutch oven:
Meat (I used leftover chicken sausages, three of them)
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. oil (my meat didn't have a lot of fat in it, and I needed something to cook the garlic in)
Hardy greens (I used about 8 leaves of collard greens)

When it all smells lovely, add 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 can of tomato sauce, and 1 can of water, two teaspoons sugar and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar. Simmer away! (I let it simmer for at least an hour and a half, to really combine the flavors.)

When the pasta was done cooking, it still wasn't as tender as I'd like, so I added the pasta to my sauce pot, along with a few ladlefuls of the pasta water, covered it, and let it bubble away for about 10 minutes until we were ready for dinner.

Top with fresh grated Parmesan. Om nom nom. The collard greens soaked up the vinegar flavor, and the sauce was perfect for the eggy noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment