This recipe is listed so many places, I hardly even know who to credit for it! I originally heard the recipe linked to the Jenny Craig weight loss system...so we'll go with that. The cake is egg free, fat free...and really, just fun to make!
Ingredients and supplies:
1 box cake mix (the two-layer size) (I used yellow cake)
1 can soda pop (12 oz.) (You can use diet if you're into that sort of thing, but I used regular because Aspartame scares me. I used Sprite, to give my yellow cake a sort of lemon lime flavor)
1 toddler, in an apron
1 long wooden spoon
1 enormous mixing bowl
9x13 pan, greased
1. Preheat your oven to 350 and grease your pan.
2. Stand your toddler on a chair next to you. Show her how to dump the whole bag of cake mix into the large bowl.
3. Open the can of soda, and let your toddler dump all of that into the large bowl. (Try to stop her from drinking it, if you can - you need the soda for the cake, and it will give her cavities. Trust me.)
4. Give said toddler the long wooden spoon, and let her go to town! When she has mixed the cake to within an inch of its life, wrestle the spoon back and give it a few good whipping stirs. You want to get all the lumps out. (You could do all of this in a mixer, as well, but then your toddler wouldn't get to play with a wooden spoon!)
5. Dump the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake according to package directions. Mine took about 33 minutes.
6. Hand the messy spoon and bowl over to your toddler. Come on - when else are you going to have a batter bowl that is completely egg free??!
Let the cake cool completely before cutting it. The cake is very sticky and crumbly...but moist. (I know - that sounds like an oxymoron, but trust me. The cake really, really wants to just crumble down to moist, sticky chunks.)
(I've heard that chocolate and Dr. Pepper is a great combination for this, or chocolate and cola. Oooh...how about confetti cake with strawberry soda! The mind boggles.)