Saturday, July 13, 2013

Raspberry Chocolate Porridge


My family rather enjoys a nice bowl of oatmeal in the mornings. It lowers cholesterol, has loads of fiber, and is one more way to sneak sugar into your morning ritual. (Or maybe that's just me and Siu Jeun...) Our favorite way to enjoy it is topped with loads of huge, sweet blueberries (handpicked by us, each summer, in Chelan, WA.) Unfortunately, we can only fit so many in the freezer and always end up running out a few months before our annual summer trip back to Chelan. So, we get creative in the Spring and early Summer, and bide our time. 

Right now, it's raspberry season in the Pacific Northwest. My mother's garden is positively bursting with them, and the 10 canes I planted in my own backyard are also giving us a few handfuls each day. As it turns out, a few frozen raspberries, a sprinkle of brown sugar, and a handful of chocolate chips on top of a bowl of oatmeal makes an (almost equally) delightful breakfast.