Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Pecan Miso Green Beans

That's really just not a very elegant title, is it? Sorry - it's the best I can do! I found my inspiration for this recipe in the New York Times column Bitten, by Mark Bittman (author of How to Cook Everything) His version uses walnuts, but I used what I had on hand. I also messed with the proportion of the other ingredients as well.

I served these as a cold salad with dinner last night - they were quite tasty! Lo Gung added a small pile of the beans to his bento lunch last night and reported back toda - these are even better warm. (The flavors are much more pronounced if you serve this dish warm or even room temperature. Oops!)

For the original recipe, please go here.

Pecan Miso Green Beans

Green Beans (I used frozen - about 5 handfuls) - cooked until crisp tender and then shocked in cold water to stop the cooking

In a blender, combine until smooth:
1/2 cup pecans
1" ginger, grated on a microplane (about 2 T.)
2 T. miso (light or dark - I used dark)
1-2 teaspoons soy sauce (to taste)
1/2 cup water

Toss the cooled green beans with the dressing. Can be kept in the fridge - allow to come to room temperature before serving.

Because this recipe is vegetarian, it would make an excellent candidate for picnic lunches, buffets, packed lunches or other situations where refrigeration is an issue.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment