Thursday, January 8, 2009

Ma's Potato & Chicken Curry

Wow - housecleaning. I can't believe I haven't shared this recipe yet! My Sister In Law suggested I put this together after I had my second baby - one afternoon of stove-watching gave us three nights of dinner. Score!

Marinate 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs in 2 T. soy sauce, 2 t. sugar, 1 T. cornstarch and 2 T. julienned ginger.



Prepare:
Potatoes (about 1 lb, peeled and chopped)
Carrots (about 1 lb, peeled and chopped into thick medallions)
Onion (one large, chopped)



In a soup pot, heat 2 T. oil until fragrant, cook chicken with 1 tsp. curry powder for 5 minutes



Remove chicken. Add a little more oil - cook veg with more curry powder and salt until crisp tender.



Fill with water to nearly cover the veg- simmer until vegetables are almost done, then add chicken back in, along with half a can of coconut milk (about 7 oz).



Mix together a slurry of 1/2 cup milk, 1 tsp. soy sauce, 2 tsp. sugar, 2 T. cornstarch, 1 T. oyster sauce and 1 tsp. sesame oil. Stir into curry mixture. Return to a simmer to cook the cornstarch and thicken the curry.

Serve family style, garnished with a sliced green onion. Serve over jasmine rice.

(Can I get an om nom nom?! The milk at the end can be ommitted to make this dairy free.)

No comments:

Post a Comment