Thursday, July 24, 2008

Two Kinds of Sushi from the Pantry

My family knows I am a pantry cook. You can send anything home with me- it will get made into a meal. I'm like the wicked stepsister from Cinderella with the shoe- "I'll MAKE it fit!"

So, in light of this I want to share my two "pantry sushi" recipes. We've made them a few times, and my husband and 3-year-old daughter ate every last piece, every time. (And no- these are hardly "authentic" Japanese food. But they're yummy, and reasonably healthy.)

Sushi Rice

Cook 3 scoops of rice. When finished, mix with: 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 1/4 cup sugar, pinch of salt boiled together in the microwave. Spread into a 9x13 pan and let cool. This is enough for 4-5 rolls.

Spicy Tuna Roll Filling

1 can tuna fish
heaping tablespoon mayonnaise
heaping tablespoon sweet chili sauce

Mix together, then add additional ingredients to your liking. Last time I added a dash of chili oil, a little extra chili sauce, a few shakes of white sesame seeds, and a few shakes of shiso furikake. I like mine spicy.

Spread rice about 1/3rd inch thick on all but bottom inch of nori wrapper (on top of a bamboo roller), lay a line of tuna filling across the middle of the rice, and roll.

This made 3 thin rolls. The smaller it is, the better for Ernie!

Chicken Katsu Rolls

microwaved chicken nuggets, cut into 1/2 inch strips

Prepare sushi wrapper as above, and make a line of chicken across. Roll.

(I know, I know...but really, these were yummy! And most of our friends have chicken nuggets in the freezer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment