Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Hummus with the Vitamix


Our friend suggested (a few times!) that we really needed to try making hummus with our Vitamix. I've never really been interested in making hummus, not when a huge container can be had for $7 at Costco, but when poking aroundI found a long-forgotten bottle of sesame seeds...and I realized I had 2 cans of don't-know-what-to-do-with-them garbanzo beans at home...and I LOVE hummus. Yeah, it had to be done. And you know what, she was right! My recipe might be a little better with some added salt, or perhaps a bit more lemon juice or zest, but it's pretty good as is. Even Ernie adores it! This recipe is from the Vitamix website.

Hummus
Ingredients:
2 15 oz. cans garbanzo beans, one drained and one with liquid
1/2 cup raw sesame seeds
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon cumin

Add to canister in order listed, and blend for 1 minute or until smooth, starting on low and quickly turning to high speed. You can need to use the tamper to push this into the blades.

Serve drizzled with a good olive oil, and maybe some fresh cracked black pepper. We like it on tortilla chips, but it's also nice as a vegetable dip.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. I knew my Vitamix would make hummus.

    ReplyDelete