Thursday, March 26, 2009

Tikka Masala Scented Lentils

I wouldn't call this authentic anything, but it is rather tasty served over rice with a side of vegetables!

In a crockpot, combine:
1 lb lentils (rinsed and picked over)
6 cups water
5 carrots, peeled and chopped into 3/4" segments
1 tsp. tikka masala paste
2 T. soy sauce
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 lb chicken, chopped and seasoned with soy sauce and ginger. (Marinate ahead of time for the best flavor - we marinate our chicken and then freeze it in 1 lb. bags)

Cook on low 6-7 hours or until lentils are tender. I finished this on the stove to thicken it up and finish softening the lentils - I like my lentils well done. This would probably take about an hour and a half if you did the whole thing on the stove.

Hold back on the salt and soy sauce until the end of the cooking, then season to taste. The Tikka Masala paste can be upped if you like more spice. I like the scent of the spice, but not the actual bite of it, so 1 tsp. was plenty for me.

This made enough to feed is for several meals, so it's a really frugal meal! $1.29 for the lentils, $.99 for the chicken, add in a few carrots, and some miscellaneous spices and things...it comes out to about $3, and it will feed us at least for a few days. Pretty good, I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment