Sunday, March 15, 2009

LoLo's Turkey Loaf

I was looking for a lower-fat meatloaf that didn't SCREAM healthfood. I didn't immediately find one that I liked...so I winged it. (Don't I always??) The carrots keep things moist, and that's always a good thing with turkey. I used homemade breadcrumbs, because I happened to have a few stale heels from my recent few loaves of bread. (Why eat a dry heel when there's a fresh loaf on the counter?!)

LoLo's Turkey Loaf
2 medium carrots, sliced

1 cup bread crumbs (2 pieces of stale bread, toasted and torn into chunks)

1 egg

2 T olive oil

2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. black pepper

1/2 cup BBQ sauce

1 lb ground turkey


Brown Sugar, Kosher salt, Fresh-cracked black pepper

Combine all but the turkey in the food processor, pulse until finely ground. Turn out into a bowl and turn turkey in by hand. Turn into a glass 9x13 pan, shape into a loaf, and sprinkle with brown sugar (about 3 T.), kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Bake at 350 until done. (About an hour and 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 180 Fahrenheit.)


Serve with fresh bread or rice. This makes excellent sandwiches the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment