Monday, May 12, 2008
What to do with a Vita Mix
My parents recently lent us their 27-year-old Vitamix, to see what we could do with a machine capable of grinding wheat into dust in about 120 seconds. Turns out, we can do a lot! Time has done nothing but good things to this little beast.
1) Strawberry milkshake: Blend on high 1 cup milk, 1/3 cup milk powder, 2 cups frozen berries, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla. Add ice as it runs, until this is as frozen thick as you like. Cut way back on the sugar if your fruit is sweet. Still a sugary treat, but better for you than ice cream.
2) Wheat flour: Blend 2 cups wheat on high one minute. Stop to bash the canister against the counter to knock any stray berries from the spigot, and continue to blend for 1 more minute. Now proceed to make wheat bread! (And look- no extra dishes to wash!)
3) Chocolate milkshake: Use this recipe. Super yummy! (Stop rolling your eyes at the Pam- if you like Wendy's "Frosties", you'll LOVE this.)
4) Laundry Detergent
5) Vanilla Custard- it doesn't scorch!
6) Powdered milk- just a few taps on the "down" lever, and you have perfectly lump-free powdered milk, made with cold water even! Now THAT is a feat!
So basically, this little device has made sure that my sweet family gets a yummy dessert every family night, a loaf of fresh bread or two every week, and a happy Mama who doesn't have 18 dishes to wash from preparing one recipe! Pretty sweet.
So tell me, Blend-Tec folks, Casey and Ted & Co. : How does it compare? What do YOU do with your machine? Any favorite recipes to share?
Everyone else, what would you make with a machine capable of pulverizing any grain (or anything, really) into powder?