Friday, May 2, 2008

Vitamina

Seems like I'm the only one posting (and reading) these days, but it sure is handy having all my favorite recipes online so I can make them when I'm away from home (or can't find my cookbooks...I KNOW I labeled that box!)

This is a smoothie that is very popular in Brazil, where avocados are considered sweet and not savory. The notion of mixing avocado with salt and tomato and serving it on salty chips would be just ludicrous! (Or so I'm told.)

Make sure your avocado is ripe, but not over-ripe. If it's starting to darken and shrivel in spots inside, you'll need a LOT of sugar to counter-act the bitterness of that fruit.

So, here you go- ignore the green, and enjoy!

Vitamina

Ingredients:
1 very ripe, but not dark, avocado
About 3 cups of milk
1/4 cup sugar, more or less to taste
A splash (about a tablespoon) of lime juice

  1. Scoop avocado flesh into blender, and add the rest of the ingredients. The blender should be about 3/4 full so let that be your guide for the milk. If it's too thick it just won't pour, or blend! Start with less than a 1/4 cup sugar- you can always add more and re-blend for a few seconds.
  2. Mix until blended and smooth. Serves 2-3 if you're using big glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment