Thursday, April 15, 2010

Pasta and Broccoli with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce


This started out as a salad dressing, inspired by a recipe here. The fact that it wasn't a very good salad dressing is most likely a user error - I adapted the recipe to what I had on hand.

Gorgonzola Dressing

In a medium sized bowl, whisk together:
2/3 cup buttermilk (I used 2 Tbsp. lemon juice + enough fresh milk to equal 2/3 cup)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup mayonaise

Then stir in 6 ounces of Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled.

Season with salt and pepper to taste.


Like I said, this was a kind of wimpy salad dressing. If you look at the original recipe, I left out the garlic and the pancetta, and added mayonaise (to thicken it up a little bit). So, again, this was a user error! The dressing will keep in the refrigerator for three days.

On the third day, I boiled 1 pound of pasta, and added a small crown of broccoli (chopped) to the pot during the last three minutes of cooking time.

After draining that, I tossed in my left over Gorgonzola dressing. It was amazing! The dressing had gained a bit of pungency during the three days, as the Gorgonzola flavor seeped into the creamy base. When I tossed the sauce into the hot pasta, the bits of crumbled Gorgonzola melted and got all stretchy. Mmmmm....

The big surprise of the night was how much the kids liked it! The three year old had two bowls full, and the one year old had three helpings! Making the dressing three days ahead of time seems a bit fussy for just a pasta dish, but I will definitely be experimenting and trying this again. I'm sure I could mix this up while the pasta was cooking, and the flavor wouldn't suffer. Just a bit of creamy stuff, thinned out with milk, and some gorgonzola. I will probably skip the lemon juice step next time and just use fresh milk, or cream if I have it.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment