Monday, August 24, 2009

Eggs and Tomatoes

*Edited....the ingredients should have read "minced garlic", not "minced (blank)". Sorry!

When I lived in Hong Kong, this was absolutely, hands-down, my favorite lunch. We would find a cart on the street - restaurants couldn't get this dish right for some reason. For a few bucks you could get enough rice to feed a full grown man and two sides. I always chose a vegetable and eggs with tomatoes. The tomatoes are stewed down and combined with sugar and garlic, then a beaten egg is gently cooked in. The result is sweet and savory and garlicky and absolutely delicious.


This is my version of the dish...enjoy!

Aunt LoLo's Eggs and Tomatoes
2 T. oil

1 tsp. minced garlic

3 roma tomatoes, cut in wedges (or one large beefsteak tomato, or equivalent)

2 eggs, beaten

2 tsp. sugar

1 tsp. soy sauce

1/2 tsp. sesame oil

2 green onions, sliced

In a medium skillet, heat the oil until shimmering, then add the garlic. Sautee until fragrant and add the tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium, cover and let the tomatoes cook until they release their juices and the peels are coming off - about 5-8 minutes. Meanwhile, scramble two eggs in a small bowl. When the tomatoes are ready, gently pour the eggs into the skillet. Allow the eggs to simmer on the juice until they are almost set, then gently stir to break up the eggs. (You want scrambled eggs in stewed tomatoes, not egg-drop tomato soup!) Before you stir in the solid eggs, add in the sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar and green onions. Adjust the seasonings to taste.

Serve over rice.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds SO good to me, and I want to make it right now...only I don't have any sesame oil. Looks like I will be making a trip to the store...maybe I'll make it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to ask...How many people will this serve?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Erin @ Closing Tim: Well, it depends on how hungry you are! :) This might serve one Aunt LoLo, but would probably serve my husband and myself as a rice topper dish, if we cooked a pot of greens on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fantastic, Aunt LoLo! I have three of Mom's tomatoes on the counter and 4 dozen farm eggs in the fridge. I think we're cooking a pot of rice tonight!

    Query: What would you do with a head of napa cabbage? (Well, I think it's Napa. It's round though...)

    ReplyDelete